Every day, thousands of people check in and out of hotel rooms in Texas. It’s such a common experience that we rarely give much thought to what might happen if we are injured while staying at or visiting a hotel.
In general, Texas law is pretty favorable to businesses, and it doesn’t just allow anyone to be compensated for any injury. There are specific elements that must be met when determining whether the hotel ownership or management should be held accountable for injuries suffered on hotel property.
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, we represent injured people throughout Texas, including the entire Houston area. We hold hotel owners and managers accountable when guests are injured due to acts of negligence. Contact us today for a free consultation if you have been injured at a hotel and need trusted legal advice.
Common Types of Hotel Accidents
Some of the common types of accidents that our hotel injury lawyers see include things like:
- Falls on wet or slippery surfaces
- Falls on poorly maintained stairways or steps
- Falls due to inadequate lighting
- Injuries due to sharp or broken appliances
- Injuries due to accidents at hotel pools
- Assaults or other crimes that could have been prevented with proper security
If you are injured at a hotel, you should always seek legal advice to learn about your options for compensation. You should not be left with expensive medical bills and other damages due to someone else’s negligence.
Hotels Have Duties to Keep Guests Safe
Hotel owners and managers have a certain responsibility/obligation to guests and other visitors to the property. Texas breaks these duties down by a relationship.
As a guest, you are owed a fairly high obligation. This is because you are being invited to stay there in exchange for money. This creates certain legal obligations that are above and beyond the duties owed to social guests or friends and family who may visit you at home. Among the duties the hotel owes are:
- A duty to maintain working locks, doors, and windows
- A duty to provide clean and safe accommodations
- A duty to make timely repairs
- A duty to warn guests of any latent defects or dangers (e.g. loose steps, broken glass)
- A duty to clean up spills and trip hazards
- A duty to keep elevators, stairs, and common areas in working order and well lit
- A duty to exercise reasonable caution in hiring people who will have access to guests
Contact Our Houston Personal Injury Attorneys Today
If you are wondering who is liable for an accident in a hotel room, the answer could be the hotel management. Of course, if you were injured due to your own negligence, horseplay, or illegal actions, then you will likely not be able to recover compensation.
In order to understand how to sue a hotel for injury, you first should speak with an experienced premises liability attorney near you. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, we may be able to help you pursue compensation for injuries following a hotel accident in Houston. Contact us to learn more and schedule a free consultation today.
En las Oficinas legales de Hilda Sibrian, nos apasiona ayudar a las víctimas de accidentes de Houston con sus reclamos de lesiones personales. Sabemos que los accidentes ocurren en todo momento del día y de la noche, por lo que siempre estamos disponibles para ayudar. Si ha resultado lesionado, nos reuniremos con usted donde sea que esté para hacer que el proceso de reclamo sea lo más libre de estrés posible.