According to a Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) report, more fatalities were sustained in motor vehicle accidents in 2020 than the number sustained the year before. TxDOT reports a 7.54 percent increase in the number of traffic deaths occurring across Texas in 2020 from the year before. A similar increase was experienced across Houston, too.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic where there were fewer cars on the road, the number of accidents across the state increased over the year before. Here are the numbers for the two most recent years:
- 3,896 traffic fatalities vs. 3,623
- Fatality rate of 1.33 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled vs. 1.26
- 12,107 serious injury crashes vs. 12,907
- 205,498 individuals injured in motor vehicle crashes vs. 256,797
According to the most recent numbers, one person is killed every two hours and 15 minutes and one is injured every two minutes and 34 seconds in a Texas motor vehicle accident.
Houston Car Accident Statistics
Motor vehicle accident statistics from TxDOT for Houston in 2020 show there were:
- 58,167 total crashes
- 263 fatal crashes
- 274 fatalities
- 1,194 suspected serious crashes
- 1,378 suspected serious injuries
- 4,444 injury crashes
- 5,939 injuries
For 2019, TxDOT reports the following statistics for Houston:
- 68,932 total crashes
- 242 fatal crashes
- 255 fatalities
- 1,208 suspected serious crashes
- 1,402 suspected serious injuries
- 5,364 injury crashes
- 7,158 injuries
These statistics show that there were fewer Houston car crashes for the most recent year. However, there was a higher number of fatal traffic accidents and a higher percentage of accidents that resulted in serious injury.
Types of Car Accidents that Cause Deaths and Injuries
Car accidents involve metal machines that weigh thousands of pounds, so injuries are common. Some of the types of car accidents that often cause death or serious injury include:
- Head-on collisions – Head-on collisions are the deadliest type of motor vehicle accident because of the point of impact and the higher speeds often involved with them. Traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, direct force trauma injuries, and fractures often follow head-on collisions.
- Rear-end collisions – Rear-end collisions can result in serious injuries due to the sudden back-and-forth motion your body experiences after being hit from behind. Common injuries stemming from rear-end collisions include airbag injuries, spinal cord injuries, back injuries, head and facial injuries, and wrist and arm injuries.
- T-bone collisions – T-bone collisions occur when a vehicle hits the other vehicle on its side, forming the letter “t,” such as when turning at an intersection. Serious injuries that sometimes accompany T-bone collisions include concussions, whiplash, fractures, and spinal cord injuries.
- Sideswipe collisions – Sideswipe collisions occur when one vehicle hits a vehicle next to it, usually by drifting into an adjacent lane due to distracted or impaired driving. Common sideswipe collision injuries include fractures in the arms, legs, hands, and feet, whiplash, and traumatic brain injuries.
If you were hurt in a car accident, you deserve to be compensated for the injuries and losses you experienced due to another person’s negligence. Reach out to a personal injury attorney in Houston for help.
Contact Hilda Sibrian Today
If you or a loved one was involved in an accident that caused death or serious injury, The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian are here to help. Our Houston car accident lawyers can quickly get to work on your case and determine who is to blame for your injuries and losses. We can help build a strong claim on your behalf while you focus on your recovery. From the moment you enter our doors, we treat you like family.
Contact us today to speak with an experienced Houston car accident attorney during a free, no-obligation consultation.