A rear-end accident occurs when the front of one vehicle slams into the rear of another vehicle. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, rear-end collisions are one of the most common causes of car accidents in the nation. Despite their frequency, rear-end accidents can cause serious injuries and leave devastation in their wake. A rear-end accident lawyer can help you pursue the financial compensation you deserve when you are hurt because of someone else’s negligence.
If you were involved in a rear-end accident, contact The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™. You can discuss the details of the accident with an experienced Houston rear-end car accident lawyer during a free consultation.
Do I Need a Rear-End Car Accident Lawyer?
If you were injured in a rear-end accident, you might wonder whether you need a personal injury lawyer. A Houston rear-end accident lawyer can help you throughout the life of your claim by:
- Handling communication with the insurance company. You should not have an insurance adjuster hounding you while you are trying to recover. You can simply tell anyone from the insurance company to talk to your lawyer.
- Gathering all the evidence. While you rest and focus on getting the medical help you need, our team will return to the accident scene, review all the evidence collected, and work with experts to reconstruct what happened. We may track down video surveillance from the area that captured the crash, and we will interview witnesses to find out what they saw.
- Proving liability. Our attorneys will work to identify all possible sources of compensation in your claim. If an at-fault party tries to deny liability or shift some of the blame onto you, we will fight their arguments with hard evidence supporting your case.
- Documenting past, current, and future losses. From the beginning, you will be seeing the bills pile up from medical care, travel costs to and from appointments, missed time from work, etc. You may also worry about how your injuries will affect you into the future if you cannot return to work or are facing long-term medical treatment. Our team will document all of this and demand maximum compensation for your losses.
- Aggressively negotiating for a full and fair rear-end car accident settlement. Our skilled attorneys are able to resolve many claims in negotiations with insurance companies. Armed with solid evidence, we negotiate from a position of strength, knowing that most insurers do not want to risk losing in court.
- Taking your case to trial. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, our rear-end car accident attorneys will zealously fight for you in court, presenting a persuasive case for why you deserve maximum compensation for the damages you have suffered.
Common Causes of Rear-End Car Accidents
Over the years, we have investigated all types of rear-end crashes. Although each situation is unique, there are some common causes of these types of dangerous collisions. Rear-end collisions often occur because the driver of the rear vehicle is not paying attention, is distracted, or not following at a safe distance. Some common causes of rear-end accidents include:
- The rear vehicle is following too closely and when the front vehicle stops suddenly, the rear vehicle rear-ends it.
- The lead vehicle comes to a complete stop at a stoplight and the driver behind does not know the light changed because of distracted driving and continues driving forward.
- The tailing vehicle does not account for a change in traffic conditions or weather conditions and follows too closely.
- The rear-ended vehicle is hit by a drunk or impaired driver.
Having the help of a rear-end accident lawyer can be critical to the potential success of your claim. A lawyer may be able to investigate the accident and establish the other driver was at fault.
Common Injuries from Rear-End Accidents
While rear-end accidents are often referred to as “fender benders,” they can cause serious injuries. The force generated by rear-end collisions can be significant and lead to extensive injuries. Common injuries from rear-end accidents include:
- Head or traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash and other soft tissue injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Internal injuries or organ damage
- Facial injuries and disfigurement
- Hand and arm injuries
- Knee, foot, or ankle injuries
Even if the accident occurred at a low speed, you may still have serious injuries. Injuries can vary depending on the direction of each vehicle, speed, pre-existing injuries, your location in the vehicle, and other factors.
Once you have seen a doctor, be sure to follow all their instructions and attend any follow-up appointments. You should also save all the paperwork and receipts related to your treatment.
Proving Who Is to Blame for a Rear-End Car Accident
In most rear-end accident cases, the rear driver is to blame. This is because drivers owe a duty of care to safely operate their vehicles. This duty includes following a safe distance from other drivers. When drivers do not leave a safe distance between their vehicle and other vehicles, they may not be able to stop safely if the front driver suddenly stops.
However, there are some situations when the driver of the leading vehicle may be found to be the at-fault driver, such as:
- The front vehicle just switched lanes before the collision
- The driver in front does a “brake check” to make the tailing driver back off when the impact occurs
- The driver of the front vehicle has a mechanical issue while driving and does not activate their hazard lights
- The leading vehicle reverses into the rear vehicle
A rear-end accident lawyer can evaluate the evidence and help establish liability in your claim.
Compensation You Could Recover in a Rear-End Car Accident Claim
If you were involved in a rear-end accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation. While it is difficult to estimate the average settlement for a rear-end car accident, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including hospitalization, ambulance charges, physical therapy, and medication
- Lost wages for the time you missed from work
- Reduced earning capacity if you are unable to earn the same living after the accident
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
What to Do After a Rear-End Accident
Here are some suggestions about what to do after a rear-end accident in Houston:
- Report the accident to the police.
- Seek medical attention right away if you were injured.
- Exchange information with the other driver and get their insurance information and driver’s license number.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and damage to both vehicles.
- Get the names and contact information for any witnesses.
- Be careful what you say at the scene or to the insurance company afterward because what you say can be used against you.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer for help with your claim.
Talk to a Rear-End Accident Attorney Today!
Before you talk to the insurance company, you need to speak to a knowledgeable Houston car accident lawyer about your legal rights to compensation. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, we have earned a reputation for standing up for the rights of car accident victims throughout Houston. We have delivered real results for thousands of people. We believe that the claims process should not be stressful or put an added burden on those who are already coping with devastating injuries. That is why our attorneys and legal support team do everything in our power to take the load off you.
Please contact our law firm today to set up a free consultation to discuss the details of your rear-end car accident. We are here to listen and give you the smart legal advice you need to demand the full and fair compensation you deserve.