Houston is a large city, containing over 2.2 million proud residents. Amid our city, drunk driving is a real problem that we face every single day. These are some of the horrific statistics that directly affect our city, and how we live every single day:
- Every twenty minutes, someone is either hurt or killed in a motor accident that involves alcohol in the state of Texas, primarily in Houston. In the time that it takes to watch an episode of your favorite television show, three or more people may have been killed due to negligent driving from alcohol abuse.
- In Harris county alone, 362 people were killed in 2015, aiding in Texas leading the nation in drunk driving deaths.
- Over 70 drunk driving-related deaths were recorded in various other Houston counties.
- Houston led as the second-highest DUI crash area of the state, totalling 1,492 total crashes as a direct result of alcohol abuse. That’s more than four crashes per day in our area alone.
- Drunk driving accidents/crashes in Houston and wrongful death related to drunk driving in Houston have been steadily climbing since 2011.
- The most likely time that you will be involved in a drunk driving-related accident is on either Saturday or Sunday, between the hours of 6:00 PM and 4:00 AM.
- 50-70% of drunk driving in the state of Texas used to operate under suspended licenses, further showcasing how drastic measures needed to be taken (breath interlock devices) to keep the residents of Texas safe, and the drivers of Houston from continuously destroying themselves and those around them.
What Do These Statistics Mean?
It means that the people of Houston are in direct control of how our city continues to spiral out of control. In times like these, having proper legal counsel is more important than ever before. Every single act of drunk driving is 100% the fault of those who climb behind the wheel while intoxicated. There is never an excuse to drink and drive, though these statistics continue to climb.
Standards have been questioned and dared to be increased in direct response to the growing epidemic facing our city. Statistics are gathered in part to show the public how dangerous and destructive their behavior is, and the behavior of those around them. Ceasing to drive under the influence, stopping friends, colleagues and family members from doing the same, and being aware of your surroundings are all ways to prevent these numbers from rising.
If You Are the Victim of Drunk Driving in Houston
If you’ve been injured in a car accident , pedestrian incident, or your family member has been the victim of wrongful death due to drunk and disorderly driving, contact us today and learn how you can seek the compensation you deserve. We can’t undo what has been done, but we can make the financial aftermath easier on you with rightful compensation for wrongful and negligent acts done to you or your family.