A 7-year-old Houston boy was hospitalized Friday morning after being hit by a car while riding his scooter to school. The child was on Reseda heading to Clear Lake City Elementary with his brother when a vehicle hit him at an intersection.
The boy was pinned under the vehicle, and a nearby off-duty officer saw the crash and immediately rushed to help the child. Although the child was “upset and scared,” he was expected to be OK, local news media reported.
It was reported that the boy had darted out into traffic, and police said the driver was not at fault. However, they noted that the accident serves as a warning to drivers to watch out for children in school zones.
Scooter Safety Tips
In neighborhoods across Houston and throughout Texas, children often ride bikes or scooters or walk to school. So it’s crucial for both parents and drivers to take proper safety precautions.
Texas Children’s Hospital recommends the following safety precautions for kids who are ready to ride:
- Children should always wear appropriate safety gear, including a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads.
- Children should wear sturdy shoes when riding, never flip-flops or sandals.
- Children should never wear headphones or earbuds while riding a scooter. Listening for traffic is a must.
- Parents and children should check the scooter before each ride to make sure wheels, brakes, and other parts are in good shape.
- Parents should teach children about traffic signs, so they understand and obey the rules of the road.
- Children younger than 10 should stay on the sidewalk. Before letting a child ride on the road, parents should assess the child’s skills and safety knowledge.
- Parents should not allow children to ride their scooters in areas where there is traffic.
- Parents should only allow children to ride during the day.
- Scooters should never carry more than one child at a time.
In addition, parents should always supervise younger children who may not yet understand the dangers of the road.
Need Advice After a Scooter Accident? Our Attorneys Are Here to Help
The most devastating thing for a parent to hear is that their child has been involved in an accident. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, our Houston personal injury attorneys have worked with far too many families who have had to deal with this heart-wrenching news. We understand how overwhelming it can be to see your child in the hospital, and it can be infuriating when you know the accident that caused your child’s pain could have been prevented.
Our compassionate personal injury lawyers fight for families who are facing massive medical expenses and other serious financial losses after their children were involved in serious accidents. Our team works to take the burden off parents so they can focus on their child, while we focus on building a strong claim for compensation.
If your child has been hurt in a scooter accident involving a motor vehicle, please reach out to us today to talk about your family’s legal rights. Call us or contact us online to set up a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in Houston.