There is more than one reason to be concerned about cellphone addiction. According to a study published recently in the health care journal JAMA, head and neck injuries related to cellphone use have been on the rise for the past 20 years. The young are especially at risk for injury.
The report noted that “many of these injuries occurred among those aged 13 to 29 years and were associated with common activities, such as texting while walking.” The most common injuries included facial lacerations, contusions, abrasions, and internal organ injuries.
Alongside the increase of cellphone use has come an increase in distracted driving and distracted pedestrians ─ a dangerous combination.
Common Pedestrian Injuries
Dangers to pedestrians are on the rise, whether from walking and texting or from drivers who are distracted by phones while behind the wheel. Here are some of the most common injuries that can cause severe harm to pedestrians as a result of walking while texting or other mobile phone use:
- Head Trauma: As the JAMA study found, head trauma, which may include a concussion or TBI (traumatic brain injury), is among the most common injuries associated with cellphone use.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries may include the bruising or hemorrhaging of organs or the vascular system caused by trauma. This can lead to loss of blood, permanent damage, or loss of life, especially if the internal injury is not immediately apparent.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord are among the most serious and may result in the loss of strength, feeling, or body function. Trauma is one of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries, and an injury can become more severe without immediate attention.
- Bone Fractures: Bone fractures, or broken bones, are a common injury resulting from an accident, such as the trauma of a car hitting a pedestrian. Bones can fracture due to sudden impact, too much pressure, or unnatural turning.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: A soft tissue injury (STI) is damage to the muscles, tissues, tendons, and ligaments that run throughout the body. These may result from a blunt force, such as an accident, or a sudden slip or fall, or a strain or sprain.
- Lacerations: A laceration is a wound to soft tissue caused by tearing, and can lead to infection if not treated properly. JAMA also reported that “facial lacerations and subsequent scarring can lead to anxiety and lowered self-esteem.”
Need Legal Help? Contact a Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you have been injured by someone who was being distracted by a cellphone and acting careless, the personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian are here to help you. We will answer all your questions and provide an honest assessment of your case. Our dedicated Houston attorneys will fight for the full compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Do not hesitate to contact us online or call us now for a free consultation.
En las Oficinas legales de Hilda Sibrian, nos apasiona ayudar a las víctimas de accidentes de Houston con sus reclamos de lesiones personales. Sabemos que los accidentes ocurren en todo momento del día y de la noche, por lo que siempre estamos disponibles para ayudar. Si ha resultado lesionado, nos reuniremos con usted donde sea que esté para hacer que el proceso de reclamo sea lo más libre de estrés posible.