Uber drivers are susceptible to car accidents just like all other drivers. However, when you consider the reduction of DUIs since Uber’s inception, it is clear that opting for a ride-sharing company’s services can decrease the risk of accidents. An increasing number of people are using Uber instead of getting behind the wheel after they have had a few drinks. Having affordable transportation options like Uber makes people far less likely to drive drunk.
How has Uber affected the frequency of alcohol-related accidents?
Since Uber launched its affordable UberX services in 2012, the number of alcohol-related crashes has consistently dropped in areas where Uber operates. In a report by Uber and Mothers against Drunk Driving (MADD), the authors set out to find out if the Uber platform had any impact on drunk driving in Seattle.
Before Uber hit the market, officers arrested, on average, over seven people in Seattle each day for driving while intoxicated. The city saw a 10 percent reduction in arrests after Uber became available. Then, the authors looked at crash data in other metropolitan areas like Miami. They immediately noticed that the demand for Uber peaks at the same time as drunk driving crashes have historically peaked. Uber requests tend to spike between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. on weekends as people are leaving the bar and other events. In other words, people are choosing Uber over risking getting behind the wheel.
Below are some other key findings in the report.
- In California, drunk-driving crashes in areas where Uber operates fell by almost 60 per month among young drivers under 30 after UberX launched.
- Nearly 80 percent of all surveyed drivers said they and their friends were a lot less likely to drive under the influence since the inception of ridesharing services.
- Roughly 93 percent of everyone surveyed said they would recommend Uber to a friend who had been drinking.
“We discovered that when people have more options, they make better, safer choices,” the study concluded.
How else can you reduce your risk of accidents?
Opting to travel by Uber and other ridesharing networks is certainly one way to reduce your risk of accidents if you are thinking about going out and having a couple of drinks. If Uber services are not available in your area, do not be tempted to get behind the wheel if you have been drinking. Call a cab or a friend. It is not worth risking your life.
Other ways you can reduce your risk of accidents in general are pretty straightforward, but very effective.
- Drive defensively.
- Know the rules of the road and follow them. It sounds simple, but many people simply ignore things like no-passing zones, speed limits, and yield signs.
- Do not engage with aggressive drivers.
- Take a driving safety course.
- Leave yourself enough travel time so you are not tempted to speed.
- Pay attention to the road. While driving, do not talk on the phone or text, put on your makeup, fumble around for items on the floor, etc.
For more interesting articles, check out our blog and remember the Houston accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda L. Sibrian, PC are available 24/7 for all our clients. We even make house calls. Contact us. Se habla español.
En las Oficinas legales de Hilda Sibrian, nos apasiona ayudar a las víctimas de accidentes de Houston con sus reclamos de lesiones personales. Sabemos que los accidentes ocurren en todo momento del día y de la noche, por lo que siempre estamos disponibles para ayudar. Si ha resultado lesionado, nos reuniremos con usted donde sea que esté para hacer que el proceso de reclamo sea lo más libre de estrés posible.