Accidents occur in parking lots all the time. While they may not always be as severe as accidents that occur on the highway when cars are moving at much higher speeds, they can still cause serious injuries and be stressful to deal with.
If you’ve been injured in a parking lot accident in Houston, reach out to The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian today. Our team has the knowledge and experience needed to evaluate your claim, investigate your case, determine liability, and pursue the fair compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Parking Lot Accidents
Some of the most common causes of parking lot accidents include:
- Backing up, such as when a driver backs out of a parking space into an oncoming car
- Rear-ending a vehicle, such as when one driver hits another driver from behind at a stop within a parking lot
- Two cars trying to take the same parking space at the same time
- A driver pulling forward or backing up out of a parking space and into a street, where oncoming traffic is approaching
What to Do After a Parking Lot Accident
Knowing what to do after a parking lot accident occurs can give you peace of mind. Some steps you should follow if you are involved in a parking lot accident include:
- Call the authorities – Law enforcement may make a police report that details important information like the other driver’s contact information, license plate number, registration, and insurance information. The report may also contain a description of the accident scene, any injuries, any vehicle damage, and contact info for any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident.
- Collect information from other drivers – Be sure to collect the contact information, insurance information, driver’s license number, and vehicle license plate from the other driver involved in the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene – If you’re able to, it’s a good idea to take as many photos and videos of the scene as possible. Photo and video evidence can greatly strengthen your claim by providing a visual record of the scene. Take pictures of any injuries, vehicle damage, the other driver’s license plate number, and the scene from various angles.
- Collect witness information – Get the contact info of any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident. Witnesses can provide objective testimony that may help your case.
- Seek medical attention – It is advisable to be checked out by a doctor right away. Some parking lot injuries do not present themselves immediately but could affect you later, like whiplash. A doctor can help diagnose these injuries.
- Collect documentation of your damages – Gather your medical records, hospital bills, photo and video evidence from the scene, and employment records that show your lost wages. All of these pieces of evidence help bolster your claim.
- Contact a car accident lawyer – Building a case and negotiating with the insurance company can be incredibly challenging to handle on your own. Consulting with an experienced Houston accident lawyer may offer you the best chance at getting the full amount of compensation you deserve.
Who Is Responsible for a Parking Lot Accident?
Determining liability in a parking lot accident is not always straightforward. When determining who was at fault, two considerations typically need to be made:
- Was the car moving? If only one car was moving, then the driver of that moving vehicle is the one that is typically considered liable for the accident.
- Did the driver have the right-of-way? If both drivers are moving, the driver who fails to yield the right-of-way to the other driver is usually at fault.
If you have been involved in a car crash in a parking lot, The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian can help. We have served the people of Houston for nearly two decades and treat our clients like family. We will review your case, gather and preserve evidence, identify the liable parties, and aggressively pursue the compensation you need to recover financially. Contact us today for a free consultation with a Houston car accident attorney.