A woman was killed Sunday when a driver at a car wash in Rosenberg rammed into her car, pinning her. Witnesses at the Blue Wave car wash on Reading Road described a frightening and tragic scene, when a 70-year-old man driving a Lexus sped in reverse, hitting several other vehicles before ramming the victim’s car, ABC 13 reported.
Witnesses rushed to help the victim and comfort her while waiting for an ambulance to arrive, but the woman died at the hospital. Police were investigating the accident, but no charges had been filed against the elderly driver who hit her.
Car Wash Accidents
Although most people think of fatal car accidents as occurring on roadways, the truth is that low-speed areas like carwashes and parking lots can be the scene of serious crashes. In fact, the International Carwash Association warns that customers and workers face several risks of injuries at carwashes, including:
- Being struck by moving vehicles – This can be due to driver negligence or malfunctions with the car wash’s conveyor system.
- Slips and falls – Car washes are by nature a wet and soapy environment, making the ground and floors slick and posing a risk for slips and falls.
- Electrocutions – Electrical equipment and tools pose an electrocution risk at car washes, which can be made more dangerous by the presence of water.
- Chemical burns – Car washes may use caustic chemicals that can burn the skin and eyes if not properly handled.
- Dangers from conveyors and spinning brushes – Getting caught in a conveyor or spinning brush can lead to catastrophic injuries, particularly if the car wash does not have the proper safety protocols in place to implement an emergency stop of its machines.
- Assaults – Like any business, car washes have a duty to provide a safe environment for customers. This means having adequate lighting inside and outside and proper security to prevent robbery and assaults.
The sad truth is that many of the catastrophic injuries that occur at car washes could have been prevented. Negligence on the part of another driver, an employee, or the car wash owner can lead to terrible accidents like the one that occurred in Rosenberg.
Our Law Firm Helps Victims and Families After Car Wash Accidents
If you have lost a family member in a car wash accident or been injured yourself, you should learn about your legal rights. You may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses you and your family have suffered. A personal injury claim or wrongful death lawsuit can be a way to help alleviate the financial pressures your family is facing after a serious accident.
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, our experienced car wash accident lawyers understand the stress and pain that individuals and families go through after a catastrophic accident. Our attorneys fight for full and fair compensation for victims of negligence, and we do everything we can to take the burden off of our clients.
Please contact us today to schedule a free consultation so we can discuss the specifics of your accident. Our legal team is here to help.