A 12-year-old boy traveling with his family was tragically killed last week when the SUV he was riding in was hit by another car on Highway 249 near Willowbrook Mall in northwest Harris County.
JoAnthony Harrison, known as Jojo, was riding with family members when their SUV stalled. The SUV’s driver pulled off to the side of the road and turned the hazard lights on. Then, another vehicle crashed into them.
JoAnthony was taken to Houston Northwest Hospital, where he later died. The other family members in the car were not seriously injured. The two women in the vehicle that hit them were also taken to the hospital.
Houston Area Known for Lethal Crashes
The tragic death last week shines a light on the dangerous driving trends in the Houston area. In fact, a special report from the Houston Chronicle labeled Houston “the most deadly major metro area in the nation for drivers, passengers and people in their path.”
The Chronicle’s analysis pointed to several reasons for the high number of fatal car accidents in Houston:
- Long commutes, with most commuters driving alone
- High-speed corridors designed to keep people moving through the area as quickly as possible
- Lax enforcement of laws aimed at stopping speeding, distracted driving, and dangerous driving around bicyclists and pedestrians
- Lack of political support for speed cameras, red-light cameras, and sobriety checkpoints
- Roads designed without room for bicyclists and pedestrians
No matter the reason for a fatal crash, the sad truth is that most motor vehicle accidents could be prevented. Drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a safe manner. When they fail in that duty and crash results, dangerous drivers should be held accountable.
Our Houston Car Accident Attorneys Fight for Families of Crash Victims
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, we have worked with countless families to demand justice after life-changing auto accidents. Our attorneys understand the pain and suffering families go through as they struggle to cope with unbearable loss and financial hardships. We help protect families during this difficult time and make sure they understand their legal rights.
You can count on our compassionate Houston auto accident attorneys to:
- Speak with your family in a private, confidential consultation, with no charge and no obligation to you
- Conduct an independent investigation into the accident to determine all potentially liable parties and sources of compensation
- Document the losses your family has suffered as a result of the wrongful death
- Take overall communication with insurance companies and negotiate aggressively for the full compensation your family deserves
- Present a compelling case at trial if the at-fault parties refuse to offer a fair settlement
We understand that ultimately, there is no amount of money that can make up for the loss of a loved one. However, our respected Houston car accident lawyers do believe that families can find a sense of justice by holding those responsible accountable for their actions.
Call us today to set up a free consultation, and let us help you.