Houston Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and falls are not minor accidents. They often cause serious and permanent injuries. This is especially true when the victim is a child or elderly individual. If a slip and fall occur because a property owner fails to uphold his or her duty to visitors, the property owner may be held liable for damages under the theory of premises liability.
The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian provides diligent, accessible representation to slip and fall injury victims in Houston and communities throughout Texas. We know how these accidents can happen at inopportune times, which is why we offer 24/7 legal assistance. We also have a bilingual, Spanish-speaking team of attorneys and staff members who can work with you. Contact us today for a free consultation and learn more about how we can serve you.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Slip and falls can occur anywhere. The common factor in most of these accidents is the negligence of a property owner or a party who is otherwise in control of the property. Common locations for slip and fall accidents in Houston include:
• Stores and restaurants – Falls often occur in grocery stores or in large retail stores like Wal-Mart. They also frequently happen in dimly lit places such as restaurants and bars. In these cases, it is important to determine who owns the property and who may have a lease for the property. One or even both of those parties could be held accountable for the fall-related injuries.
• Parking lots and garages – These areas pose many unique dangers, including poor lighting, ice during extreme winter weather and cracked or uneven pavement. Again, liability in these instances depends on who owns the property, whether it is rented to another entity, and who was responsible for maintaining the lot or garage under an agreement between the two parties.
• Homes – Many slip and fall accidents occur at private residences. The victim often knows the property owner on a personal level. The owner may be a friend, neighbor or family member. It is important to know that a premises liability lawsuit typically seeks compensation from the property owner’s insurance coverage and not from the owner’s personal assets.
• Public areas – It is not uncommon for slip and fall accidents to occur in public areas such as swimming pools, restrooms, parks, public sidewalks or government buildings. When a slip and fall accident occurs on public property, a government agency may be held responsible. However, suing the government is much more difficult than suing a private business or individual. If you do plan to file a claim against a government agency, it is important to get help from an experienced Houston slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
How Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Slip and falls can happen in any number of ways. However, most slip and fall hazards are the result of a failure to maintain the property or lack of attention to known hazards. The majority of slip and fall injury claims in Houston involve the following:
• Recently mopped or waxed floors
• Uneven surfaces
• Potholes in parking lots
• Loose floorboards, mats or rugs (especially on stairs)
• Spilled liquids that are allowed to sit for prolong periods
• Ice that is not salted or removed
• Splashed grease or oil that is not removed
• Trash or debris on the floor
• Poor lighting that makes it difficult to see obstacles
• Cords that run across walkways
• Desk or cabinet drawers that have been left open
• Transitions in flooring without clear markers
Ladders and Stairs
• Lack of handrails
• Failure to secure a ladder or have someone hold it
• Using a piece of furniture, such as a chair instead of a ladder
• Kitchen work
• Manual labor
• Factory work.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, our legal team has been helping injured parties to pursue compensation for more than a decade. We often work with slip and fall victims who have suffered:
• Broken bones, soft tissue damage, and lacerations
• Head trauma, including brain injuries and skull fractures
• Spinal cord and nerve damage
• Slipped discs
• Permanent scarring and disfigurement
• Emotional distress
• Wrongful death.
Slip and fall injuries can be life-altering and costly. For instance, if an elderly person suffers a slip and fall, the person may suffer an injury such as a hip fracture that leads to a host of life-threatening complications. These accidents may result in missed work, loss of income and diminished future earning capacity. In some cases, a slip and fall victim may be unable to return to work at all.
When you work with our legal team, we will fight on your behalf for compensation you deserve. Every case is different. However, we typically slip compensation for slip and fall victims that includes:
• Loss of income
• Projected future loss of income
• Past and future medical expenses (including rehabilitation services)
• Loss of enjoyment of life
• Pain and suffering
• Loss of consortium.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
If you suffered serious injuries in a slip and fall accident that occurred on another person’s or entity’s property in the Houston area, you may be entitled to compensation. The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian will fight for maximum compensation for you.
When you work with us, you will quickly see that you are more than a legal case to us. From the moment you walk through the door, we will treat you like family. We will be committed to providing quality care and attention to you throughout your case, including providing direct service to you at any time of day, including nights and weekends. Contact us today and learn more about how we can help you with a free consultation.