Refinery Accident Lawyer
Texas – and the Houston area specifically – is well-known for its oil and gas industry. Many companies employ thousands of workers in the area, which significantly helps our state’s economy. However, this industry is also known for its dangerous nature. Companies are expected to follow proper protocols to protect their workers. Unfortunately, corporations often prioritize profits over safety.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a refinery accident or plant explosion, do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced refinery injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian. Our refinery accident attorneys can investigate all the factors that contributed to your accident and pursue compensation from all the parties whose negligence contributed to it. Contact us now for a free case review.
Texas Refinery Explosions and Accidents
Some of the most notable refinery explosions and accidents in Texas include:
- Phillips explosions – Several explosions broke out at the Phillips 66 plastics factory in Pasadena. The first explosion registered a 3.5 on the Richter scale. More than 310 people were injured and 23 workers were killed in the explosions.
- Texas City refinery explosion – A Texas City explosion occurred after pipes in the refinery had worn thin and fumes leaked. A hydrocarbon vapor cloud ignited, resulting in an explosion that injured 180 people and killed 15 others.
- West Fertilizer Company explosion – Arson was responsible for a West storage and distribution facility. The criminal act damaged 500 buildings, killed 15 people, and injured 250 others.
- ExxonMobil plant fires – A fire broke out at the ExxonMobil facility in Baytown. Four people were injured in the accident. In a separate incident, 40 people were injured after another fire broke out. An underlying explosion was responsible for that fire.
- Pasadena industrial plant explosion – At least 20 people were injured in a fire and explosion at the Pasadena Kuraray America facility after a highly flammable gas leaked from the plant’s production system.
- Lyondell Basell chemical leak – After a pressurized cap blew off a line that contained acetic acid, a dangerous chemical leak occurred. Two workers were killed and thirty were injured.
What Are the Common Causes of Refinery Accidents?
Our Houston refinery explosion lawyers have found that many refinery accidents are due to negligence, not to conditions outside human control. Some of the most common causes of refinery accidents include:
- Noncompliance with state and federal workplace safety laws
- Inadequate personnel training
- Negligent hiring
- Incorrect storage of materials
- Poorly maintained equipment
- Defective equipment
What Are The Common Types of Industrial Explosions?
Some of the most common types of industrial accidents in the oil and gas industry include:
- Explosions – Oil and gas are highly flammable. When they combust, they may cause a serious explosion. These explosions can kill workers and cause catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, amputations, and spinal cord injuries.
- Fires – Fires can also break out at refineries, which can cause severe burns. Burns can also be caused due to high temperatures, high pressure, and volatile chemicals.
- Falls – Workers must work from heights, so when they fall, they can suffer disabling injuries.
- Toxic exposure – Workers can suffer respiratory problems when they inhale toxic chemicals or suffer skin damage when they come into contact with them.