Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Houston is a beautiful city to ride your bike around. Unfortunately, it’s also often very dangerous for cyclists. Drivers don’t watch for bicycles the same way they lookout for other vehicles, and often motorists don’t see cyclists until it’s too late.
When a motor vehicle hits a bicyclist, the cyclist usually suffers serious injuries. Other than a helmet, which is no match for a vehicle, cyclists are completely exposed and have no protection. Due to this, they sustain the most severe injuries when they are hit.
When this happens and a driver was at fault for the accident, injured cyclists can claim compensation for their injuries. To learn about your legal rights after a crash, talk to a Houston bicycle accident attorney at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian. The consultation is free, and we are ready to start on your case today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
Any time a driver is negligent or careless, it could lead to an accident. However, there are some causes of bicycle crashes that are seen more commonly than others. These include:
- Distracted driving: Texting and driving has been illegal in Texas since 2017. Still, too many motorists engage in this practice. Texting also isn’t the only form of distraction for drivers. Children in the back seat, loud music, eating, and grooming are all forms of distraction that take a driver’s attention away from the road.
- Right turns or left turns: When drivers make a turn, they often have to enter into a cyclist’s path. When motorists don’t properly watch for bikers, they move into that path at the same time a cyclist is traveling straight through, hitting the cyclist as they do.
- Failure to yield: Any time anyone on the road fails to yield to other vehicles, it can cause an accident. Sometimes drivers just don’t see a cyclist, and they fail to yield. Other times, they don’t give cyclists the same respect and room as other vehicles, putting riders in a dangerous position.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving kills many people every year. When drivers are impaired, their reaction time is slowed, they have perception issues, and they can’t focus on the road. This can have disastrous results for cyclists.
- Sharing a lane: Drivers should never try to share a line with cyclists. Individuals on bikes have just as much right to have enough space around them as other vehicles. When a motorist tries to share the lane, the driver may end up sideswiping the cyclist.
- Driving the wrong way: Cyclists are required to travel in the same direction as traffic. When a motorist drives the wrong way, everyone in that driver’s path is at risk, including cyclists.
These are just a few of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Houston. When a crash occurs, you should speak to a trusted attorney about what compensation you may be entitled to receive.
Compensation for Your Injuries
Bicycle accident victims can suffer serious losses after a crash. Through a personal injury claim against the negligent driver, cyclists can seek:
- Medical bills: After an accident, you may need expensive and ongoing medical treatment. You can seek both current and future medical expenses in a claim.
- Lost wages: You may be unable to return to work after a bike accident, and you deserve compensation for those lost wages. You can also seek payment for loss of earning capacity if you are unable to return to the same line of work in the future.
- Disability: If you have suffered a permanent disability as part of the crash, you can seek compensation for the loss of a body part or bodily function.
- Pain and suffering: You will likely experience a great deal of physical pain and suffering after a bike accident. An attorney will help place a value on this so you can seek appropriate compensation for it.
- Other damages: Depending on the nature of the accident and the severity of your injuries, you may seek other damages as part of your claim. These include emotional distress, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Essentially, you can include any loss you experienced as part of the accident in a claim. Our knowledgeable attorneys can advise on all possible losses and their value.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
The moments after a bike accident are very scary. You may be suffering from severe injuries and may not know what to do next. Below is a list of the proper steps to take.
- Report the accident, as required by Texas law.
- Get medical attention right away.
- Exchange information with the driver, including his or her name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Take pictures, if possible, of the accident scene or have someone else do it for you.
- Collect contact information from witnesses.
- Speak to an attorney.
Your top priority after a crash should be to get medical attention for your injuries. Once you have received emergency treatment, speak to an attorney who can guide you through what to do next.
Talk to a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Now
Many people believe they can file a bicycle accident claim on their own, and it’s true that it is a possibility. There is no law in Texas that requires you to obtain legal representation.
However, having a personal injury attorney by your side will provide you peace of mind and ensure you are demanding every bit of compensation you are owed. Our attorneys can properly evaluate your claim, speak to the insurance company of the at-fault driver, and reach out to our network of experts to help prove your case.
If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident, don’t try to take on your claim alone. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, our Houston bicycle accident lawyers can help. We help accident victims every day, and we want to help you, too. Contact us online for your free consultation so we can get started on your case.