Houston Construction Accident Lawyer
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in one recent year, 3 out of every 100 construction workers nationwide suffered some kind of illness or injury on the job, and more than 1,000 construction workers died from workplace injuries. Many of these construction accidents aren’t truly accidents at all. They are the result of negligent or reckless behavior on the part of employers, contractors, supervisors, and others. These accidents can lead to agonizing injuries that last for months or years after the initial incident, along with crippling medical bills.
If you’ve been hurt in a construction accident in Houston, call The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian today. Our experienced legal team has been serving Houston residents since 2004, and we’ve helped thousands of clients get the compensation they deserve for their injuries. To discuss your case with an experienced Houston construction accident lawyer, contact us for a free initial consultation today.
How Hilda Sibrian Can Help You After a Construction Accident
When you trust your case to The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, you’re getting a team that will treat you like family. Our work injury attorneys have decades of combined experience handling these kinds of claims, and we’ll put that experience to work for you. You can count on our Houston construction accident attorneys to:
- Launch an immediate and rigorous investigation into your accident to determine who is at fault for your injuries
- Handle all communication with the other parties involved in your claim, along with their lawyers, insurance agents, and other representatives
- Help you get the medical care you need to treat your injuries, and ensure the extent of your losses are properly documented
- Demand the full and fair compensation you need to recover from your injuries
As your case progresses, we’ll keep you posted at every step along the way. We take pride in our customer service, and we will do everything we can to help you.
Compensation Claims in a Construction Accident in Houston
There are two primary ways for construction workers to pursue compensation after an accident on the job. The first is through Texas’ workers’ compensation program. If your employer has workers’ compensation coverage, you are entitled to file a claim for the cost of your medical care as well as a portion of your lost wages. (Note that Texas does not require employers to carry workers’ comp coverage.)
If your employer does not have workers’ compensation coverage or if a third party caused your injuries, you can file a personal injury claim to recover compensation. You can typically recover much more in damages through a personal injury claim. Compensation may include payment for:
- Your past and future medical costs
- The full value of your lost wages
- Your reduced future earning potential
- Any disfigurement that resulted from the accident
- Your physical pain and suffering
- Any emotional distress resulting from the accident
- Loss of financial or emotional support from a family member who was injured in the accident
- Funeral and burial expenses, in cases of wrongful death
In some instances, you could be eligible to claim workers’ compensation benefits through your employer and seek additional compensation from a third party that caused your accident.
What You Need to Know About Third-Party Liability in a Houston Construction Accident
Many construction accident injuries are not the fault of the worker or his or her employer. Rather, they are the fault of a third party such as a contractor, subcontractor, property owner, architect, engineer, utility company, delivery company, vendor, equipment manufacturer, or another party that was conducting business at the job site.
For example, a distracted contractor or delivery driver may run into some scaffolding on a construction site and cause a worker to fall. In that case, the driver who ran into the scaffolding could be held responsible for the worker’s injuries.
You need a lawyer who has extensive experience with these types of cases to investigate your accident and identify all potentially liable parties.
Types of Fatal Construction Accidents in Houston
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) describes the four most common types of construction accidents as the “Fatal Four.” These kinds of accidents account for almost 60 percent of all construction accidents nationwide. They are:
- Fall accidents: Workers falling or being knocked to the ground make up 33.5 percent of all construction accidents.
- Workers being struck by an object: These kinds of accidents involve workers being struck by something that has been dropped from above. These accidents account for 11.1 percent of all construction accidents.
- Electrocutions: Construction sites often involve heavy industrial equipment or having to work around live wires. So it’s no surprise that electrocution accidents are common. Electrocutions accounted for 8.5 percent of all construction accidents in one recent year.
- Workers caught between two objects: With all the heavy equipment and large structures found on construction sites, it’s easy for workers to become pinned or crushed between large objects if proper safety regulations aren’t followed. These kinds of accidents made up 5.5 percent of all construction accidents in one recent year.
Other common causes of construction accidents include:
- Structural collapses
- Negligent supervisors or a lack of proper training
- Explosions and fires
- Equipment failures
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals or inhalants
- Faulty rails or stairways
Contact Our Houston Construction Accident Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in a construction accident, don’t leave your recovery and livelihood to chance. Instead, turn to an experienced Houston construction accident attorney for help. To schedule your free initial consultation with a knowledgeable member of our team, contact The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian now.