Houston Improper Loading Truck Accident Attorney
Innocent people in Houston have been severely injured and killed when unsecured cargo has fallen off large trucks and created hazards in the road. If you were injured in an accident caused by an unsecured load, you have legal rights. A Houston improper loading truck accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian can help you demand the compensation you need to account for your medical expenses, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses caused by the accident.
Contact us now for a free case review.
Have You Been the Victim of an Unsecured Cargo Accident in Houston?
If you were the victim of an unsecured cargo accident, it is important that you take steps to protect your health and your claim for compensation. Here is what to do if you are involved in this type of crash:
- Report the accident to law enforcement.
- Exchange information with the other drivers involved. Be sure to get the name and contact information for the trucking company as well as the driver.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to both vehicles, skid marks, any spilled cargo, and your injuries.
- Get the names and contact information for any witnesses to the wreck.
- Seek immediate medical assistance.
- Do not give a statement to the insurance company or the trucking company.
- Contact an improper loading truck accident lawyer in Houston as soon as possible.
Dangers of Shifting Cargo
Cargo should be loaded in a way that properly distributes the weight and reduces the likelihood that it will shift during transit. Possible dangers of shifting cargo include:
- Overweight loads can cause the vehicle to malfunction or blow out a tire.
- Cargo can fall out of the vehicle and crash into other vehicles on the roadway.
- Cargo can fall onto the roadway and motorists can get into a wreck when trying to avoid it.
- Shifting cargo can cause the truck to roll onto its side during a turn.
- Hazardous materials can fall out of the vehicle and increase the likelihood of an explosion.
Causes of Unsecured Loading Accidents
A Houston improper loading accident can be caused by various factors. Sometimes, an accident can happen because workers are not properly trained and do not know how to properly load the truck. In other situations, the truck driver may be in a hurry and take shortcuts with the load, such as failing to use tie-downs or failing to inspect the cargo before departing. Many of these accidents occur when people or companies put delivery timetables and profits above the safety of others on the road.
Some of the most common causes of Houston improper loading accidents include:
- Improper use of tie-downs
- Failure to use tie-downs
- Unstable stacking of cargo
- Unbalanced cargo loads
- Not checking the load during transport
Laws Concerning Unsecured Loads
The law on Houston improper loading is codified at Texas Transportation Code Section 725.001, which states that a driver who fails to properly secure a load is guilty of a misdemeanor offense. Under this law, truck drivers must:
- Prevent loose material like dirt or gravel and cargo from blowing or spilling onto the roadway
- Use a completely enclosed trailer when transporting certain loose materials
These rules are in place to prevent unsecured truck load accidents in Houston and other locations throughout the state.
There are also federal regulations in place to help prevent improper loading accidents. These regulations include:
- Pre-trip inspection – Drivers are required to complete a pre-trip inspection before leaving the terminal. When this inspection is carried out, the truck driver may identify damaged equipment that may put the load in jeopardy.
- Proper training – Trucking companies are required to properly train drivers to conduct a comprehensive pre-trip inspection. They must also train truck drivers on how to check whether a load is secure.
- Rules regarding loose load materials – Drivers must follow specific rules when transporting certain loose materials, such as gravel, dirt, or sand, as well as heavy machinery or other materials. These rules are intended to help prevent avoidable accidents caused by cargo falling from trucks.
- Use of tie-downs – There are specific rules regarding the use of tie-downs to secure the load, including the number and type of tie-downs that should be used.
Safety Standards to Prevent Improper Loading Truck Accidents
Truck drivers and trucking companies must also comply with safety standards that are put in place to help prevent accidents, such as:
- Using cargo securement systems that can withstand external forces
- Using special loading methods and securement procedures for heavy machinery, hazardous materials, concrete pipes, and metal coils
- Ensuring that cargo is not able to shift during transport
- Using a cargo securement system that is appropriate for the size, shape, and strength of the cargo
- Using a minimum amount of tie downs, depending on the weight and size of the cargo
- Ensuring that cargo remains secure while accelerating, braking, turning, and backing up
How Hilda Sibrian Can Help You After an Unsecured Cargo Accident
Improperly loaded cargo accidents can result in severe and sometimes fatal injuries. An experienced truck accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian can assist you with all aspects of your claim, including:
- Explaining your legal rights and options
- Investigating the accident and identifying who should be held liable
- Requesting and preserving evidence to support your claim
- Accounting for the full extent of your damages
- Working with industry-leading experts to support your case
- Handling communication with the insurance company
- Negotiating for a maximum settlement amount
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary
Our experienced personal injury lawyers have been serving Houston since 2004. We have achieved significant results for thousands of people just like you. From the moment you enter our doors, you become part of our family. We will fight for the maximum compensation you need to move forward after a devastating crash.
Contact an Experienced Improper Loading Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in an unsecured truck load accident in Houston, our lawyers can manage all the details of your legal claim. Whether the driver, trucking company, third-party loading company, or the company that owned the cargo is responsible, we’ll aggressively pursue full and fair compensation on your behalf.
We provide a free consultation for truck accident victims. There is no fee for our services unless we recover compensation for you. Contact us today to get started.