Truck Accidents Caused by Drug and Alcohol Abuse
When an intoxicated driver attempts to operate an 80,000-pound commercial truck, it can lead to a devastating accident resulting in serious injuries and even death. When truck drivers make the decision to drive while intoxicated, they are putting others on the road in danger. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, we do not tolerate this negligent and reckless behavior. Our Houston impaired truck driver accident attorneys aggressively fight to hold reckless truck drivers and the companies behind them accountable.
If you were seriously injured in an accident caused by a drunk or drugged truck driver in the greater Houston area, you have the right to take legal action. Our truck accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™ are ready to fight tirelessly for the full and fair compensation you deserve. The sooner we can get started on your case, the better. Call now to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
Liability for Alcohol and Drug Abuse in Trucking Accident Claims
When an intoxicated truck driver causes an accident, the driver usually isn’t the only party that can be held responsible. Other parties that could have contributed to the crash include:
- Trucking company
- Truck owner
- Cargo loading company
- Truck parts manufacturer
- Maintenance company
It is the truck driver’s responsibility to abide by the law and operate the vehicle in a safe manner. Driving a truck while under the influence of drugs or alcohol endangers others. It is also the responsibility of the truck driver’s employer, the trucking company, to take actions to make sure employees are not operating a truck under the influence.
Trucking companies could be held liable for the negligent actions of their truck drivers and for employing drivers who have histories of drunk driving. If the intoxicated truck driver who caused your injuries has been reprimanded for operating under the influence in the past, you could have an even stronger case in holding the trucking company accountable for the driver’s actions.
In investigating truck accidents, our attorneys may also find that poor maintenance, improper loading, and other factors contributed to the crash. The experienced Houston drunk truck driver accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™ are committed to proving liability in these cases and fighting for the maximum compensation for our clients.
Damages You Can Claim After a Truck Accident Caused by Drugs or Alcohol
If you have been injured by a drunk trunk driver, you are likely entitled to financial compensation. Personal injury laws allow you to collect a variety of damages for your injuries, including compensation for:
- Medical bills, such as the cost of doctor’s appointments, surgery, medication, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages due to your injuries and inability to work
- Future damages such as future treatment needs and a reduction in your earning capacity
- Pain and suffering, including the emotional trauma of being injured in a drunk driving accident
In extreme cases, a jury may also award punitive damages, which are designed to punish the intoxicated truck driver for his or her willful disregard for the safety of others.
What to Do If You Are Hit by an Impaired Truck Driver
Call the police. Call 911 immediately to report the truck accident. Law enforcement can record all details regarding the truck accident and establish whether the truck driver is over the legal alcohol limit or under the influence of other substances.
Take photos and talk to witnesses. Talk to any witnesses and collect their contact information. Witnesses can provide testimony in court that could help your truck accident case. Take plenty of pictures of the damage at the scene of the accident, including photos of your injuries.
Get medical care. Seek medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible. Your health and safety should be your No. 1 concern. The doctor will document all of your injuries. This information can be used as evidence in your personal injury claim.
Contact an attorney. A qualified lawyer can help you handle your case and pursue the fair compensation you deserve. It’s important that you consult with an attorney who has extensive experience with cases involving intoxicated truck drivers. Truck accidents are among the most complex personal injury cases, due in part to the multiple parties that can be held liable. A lawyer will be able to identify all the at-fault parties and fight tirelessly for the compensation you deserve.
Signs That a Truck Driver Is Drunk or Impaired
If you suspect a truck driver is driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, look for these signs:
- Swerving in and out of lanes
- Driving on the shoulder
- Erratic braking
- Accelerating or decelerating rapidly
- Driving much slower than the speed limit
- Drifting in and out of lanes
- Straddling the center lane
- Failing to stop at stop signs or traffic lights
Types of Crashes Caused by Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Head-on collisions – These accidents are among the most serious. When a passenger vehicle is struck head-on by a drunk truck driver that crosses the centerline, the results can be fatal.
- Rear-end collisions – These collisions often happen when the car in front of the impaired truck driver stops quickly, and the truck driver is not able to come to a complete stop before hitting the car.
- Rollover crashes – Trucks are prone to these accidents because of their height and weight. Rollovers can happen when the intoxicated truck driver swerves, and the sudden change of direction causes the vehicle to roll over.
- Blind-spot accidents – When other vehicles are in an impaired truck driver’s blind spot and the truck changes lanes, the smaller vehicles are in great danger of being crushed or forced off the road.
- Wide-turn accidents – Trucks need a lot of room to maneuver through turns. When an intoxicated truck driver does not allow enough room to make a turn – or turns without first checking his or her mirrors – the truck may crash into other vehicles.
- Jackknife accidents – This occurs when the impaired truck driver stops suddenly, and the trailer of the truck swings out to the side while the cab stays facing ahead. Jackknife accidents pose a great hazard to other drivers in the vicinity.
To learn more about common causes of truck accidents follow the link.
Injured by a Drunk Truck Driver? Contact The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™
If you have been seriously injured by an impaired truck driver, contact The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™ immediately. Our experienced Houston truck accident lawyers will collect all of the necessary evidence and identify all the parties that can be held liable.
Our skilled attorneys will negotiate for a settlement that covers all of your past, present, and future losses related to your truck accident. If the insurance company provides a settlement offer that is less than what you deserve, we won’t hesitate to file a lawsuit and take your case to court. Contact us today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.