Semi-Truck Accidents Lawyer
If you live in Houston, then you know how congested the roads and highways in our city can get. We have thousands of paved miles that cars, trucks, and motorcycles have to share. Unfortunately, we also have distressingly high numbers of truck crashes every year.
If you have been injured in a crash with a commercial motor vehicle, you need a semi-truck accident lawyer who has in-depth knowledge of the trucking industry and extensive experience successfully handling these complex claims. Our skilled commercial vehicle accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian have the skills and the resources to take on your case.
Our team will fight for the full financial compensation you need for your medical expenses, the money you lost if you’ve missed work, and payment for your pain and suffering. Please contact us now to talk about your case in a free consultation.
How Semi-Truck Accidents Are Different from Car Accidents
Semi-trucks loaded with a full trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. They are at the same time crucial parts of our national logistics systems and huge risks for the smaller vehicles on the road. When you are involved in a truck crash, there are several important differences you can expect when you begin a personal injury case against the at-fault party or parties.
- More potentially liable parties. Unlike a typical passenger car crash, truck crashes may involve multiple liable parties. This could include the driver or drivers involved, the trucking company, whoever owns the truck, the people involved with loading the truck, manufacturers of defective truck parts, and many others.
- Larger insurance policies. Most trucks will be covered by multiple, larger insurance policies. Your lawyer will work to understand all of the policies involved, including the driver’s, their employer’s, and even the cargo owner’s policy. That also means there will be more adjusters trying to save their companies money and more lawyers defending them.
- More serious injuries. When a tractor-trailer strikes a passenger vehicle or a motorcycle, those in the smaller vehicles do not stand a chance. Their injuries can be catastrophic, such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and amputations. In many cases, truck accident injuries prove fatal.
- Much higher damages suffered. Big rig truck crashes often result in much higher expenses, including medical bills, property damage, and other costs. Victims also suffer extensive non-economic losses such as pain and suffering. For that reason, you may require much more compensation to recover from your crash.
Who Is Responsible for My Semi-Truck Accident?
It really depends. Your 18-wheeler accident attorney will evaluate the circumstances of your crash to determine who may be legally responsible, or liable, for your injuries. There are many more people and companies involved in trucking than just the trucker. The various parties who could be held liable for your accident include:
- The trucker
- Another driver
- The trucking company
- The truck’s owner
- The shipper and loader
- The truck manufacturer or parts manufacturer
- A third-party maintenance company
Only an experienced and qualified truck accident lawyer can investigate the accident and identify any potentially liable parties. You need a lawyer with the right experience handling these specific types of cases to ensure that you are seeking all of the compensation available to you.
Why a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney Is Essential
If you have been hurt in a semi-truck crash, then you absolutely need a personal injury lawyer on your side. Your medical bills will be high, and you might have more on the way if your injury results in a permanent disability. You’ll have weeks or months of missed work. You’ll need money to replace your car. All of your losses can be incorporated into the demand your lawyer will send to the insurance companies associated with your truck crash.
When you hire a compassionate semi-truck accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, your attorney will:
- Thoroughly investigate your crash. In order to build a solid legal argument, we will use all the tools available to us to understand what caused your crash and who might be liable. That might include getting the driver’s logs, the truck’s maintenance records, and the crash reports.
- Gather evidence of your losses. We will document all of your expenses, including your medical bills and the records of your missed work. We will also help you document the non-economic damages you have endured, such as pain and suffering and a reduced quality of life. All of this together will inform the amount of money we demand from those who hurt you and their insurance companies.
- Negotiate for a full and fair payment, and go to court if necessary. Our team will negotiate aggressively on your behalf. If the other side refuses to pay, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
What Can I Be Compensated for After a Semi-Truck Crash?
When you suffer injury due to a semi-truck crash caused by someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation from all responsible parties. Damages may include:
- Money to cover your past and future medical expenses
- Payment for your missed wages or salary
- Compensation for your pain and suffering
- Money to offset your property damage, like your car
- Other kinds of damages, such as loss of consortium, mental anguish, or ongoing disability
- In some cases, punitive damages intended to punish the at-fault parties
How Long Do I Have to File a Semi-Truck Accident Lawsuit?
The statute of limitations is an official deadline for when your personal injury case must be filed. In Texas, that deadline is two years from the date of your accident.
However, that does not mean you should wait to speak with a semi-truck accident attorney. A lot of evidence can be lost or destroyed during that time, so it is crucial that you work with a lawyer immediately to preserve the evidence needed to support your claim.
Need Legal Assistance? Contact The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, you’ll get professional, experienced truck accident lawyers who know how to demand the maximum compensation for your truck accident case. We can serve clients in both English and Spanish, so give us a call today to schedule your free consultation.