Houston Distracted Driving Motorcycle Accidents
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, our experienced legal team fights for the full and fair compensation motorcycle accident victims need to move forward with their lives after serious crashes.
The roads are already extremely dangerous for motorcyclists. However, when other motorists text while driving or are otherwise distracted, it becomes even riskier for the bikers who cross their paths. Distracted driving takes a person’s hands, eyes, and focus off of the road. Within seconds, a driver may fail to see a motorcyclist and cause a devastating crash.
If you were hurt in a crash with a distracted driver, our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers can help. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™, our experienced legal team fights for the full and fair compensation motorcycle accident victims need to move forward with their lives after serious crashes.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
How a Motorcycle Attorney Can Help You
The days and weeks after a crash are a time for you to focus on recovering from your injuries, not burying yourself in the paperwork and legal complexities of a personal injury claim. When working with a motorcycle accident lawyer, that pressure will be taken off you.
A dedicated attorney from our firm will:
- Explain distracted driving laws and fault laws and how they apply to your case
- Conduct a full investigation to determine who was at fault for your crash
- Collect evidence from the accident scene to prove your case
- Subpoena documents, such as cellphone records, to prove that a driver was distracted at the time
- Gather medical records to verify damages and substantiate your claim
- Accurately evaluate your claim so you are seeking the full amount of damages you are entitled to receive
- Manage all communication with the insurance companies and the at-fault party
- Negotiate aggressively for a full settlement
- Take your case to trial if the insurer refuses to pay fair compensation
These are just a few of the ways a motorcycle attorney can help you after a crash. Contact our law firm today to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case in a free consultation.
What Is Distracted Driving?
When most people think of distracted driving, they usually think of a driver who is texting on a cellphone. This type of distracted driving is illegal in Texas. However, that is just one form of this dangerous type of driving. Distracted driving is engaging in any act that diverts the driver’s attention from the road. Any distraction poses a risk to the driver, passengers, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and other motorists.
Proving Fault After a Distracted Driving Accident
Your case is only as strong as the evidence. This evidence can include:
- A copy of the police report
- Photos of the scene, including the vehicles involved, road conditions, and other relevant aspects of the scene, such as a stop sign
- Forensic evidence including debris, damage to the bike, and pictures of tire tracks on the road
- Testimony from experts, such as medical professionals and expert accident reconstruction specialists
- Cellphone records
- Medical documents outlining your diagnosis and prognosis
- A journal detailing your injuries and how they have impacted your life
- Testimony from your friends and relatives that can attest to the activities you once enjoyed and can no longer take part in due to your injuries
These are just a few types of evidence that can help with your claim. A Houston motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm can evaluate your case and can determine what other types of evidence may be useful.
Common Driver Distractions that Lead to Motorcycle Accidents
Again, while most people typically think of texting and driving as the main form of distraction, there are many other types of distractions. These include visual, manual, and cognitive distractions.
Visual distractions are those that take a driver’s eyes off of the road. These include navigating GPS, adjusting the rearview mirror, changing radio stations or playlists, or looking in the backseat to check on a child.
Manual distractions occur when a driver takes his or her hands off of the wheel. These include eating, drinking, personal grooming, and searching for something in a bag or somewhere else in the vehicle.
Cognitive distractions involve a driver taking his or her mind and focus off of the road. These can include using a cellphone, rubbernecking to look at an accident or something else of interest on the road, and passengers in the vehicle, particularly if they are children or are loud.
Clearly, some situations can include visual, manual, and cognitive distractions. For example, when people send or read a text, their focus is diverted to their phone, at least one hand must be taken from the steering wheel, and their eyes are on their phone rather than the road.
What to Do If You Have Been Hit by a Distracted Driver
There are many steps you can take after a distracted driving motorcycle accident that will help when it is time to file your claim for compensation. These include:
- Call the police: In Texas, you are required to report a crash if it involved injury, death, or significant property damage.
- Seek medical help: Seeing a doctor immediately after a crash will help ensure your injuries do not become worse, and it can provide crucial evidence for your claim.
- Exchange information: You and the driver who hit you should exchange names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information. Also get the names and contact information for any witnesses.
- Take pictures: The more photos you have of the accident scene, the more evidence you have to substantiate your claim.
- Speak to an attorney: Even before speaking to the insurance company, you should speak to a lawyer who can advise you of your rights and prevent you from making any mistakes that could hurt your claim.
Injured by a Distracted Driver? Contact a Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a crash caused by a distracted driver, do not hesitate to call our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian™ today. We will deal with the insurance company for you and demand the maximum compensation you deserve. Contact us today to learn more and to schedule your free consultation.