What should I do if I am injured in a car accident in Houston, Texas?
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident, you know the rapid pace at which a crash occurs. What seems like a normal day is interrupted by a heap of twisted metal and a fury of shattered glass.
In Harris County alone, 41,706 drivers were injured in car accidents in 2013. Of those injuries, 11,928 were considered serious. While these statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation paint a grim picture of local roadway danger, many are still unaware of the appropriate actions to take following a crash.
If you have been injured in a car accident, take the following actions:
- Get immediate medical care for your injuries.
- Gather evidence.
- Take pictures of the scene of the crash. (Most people use their cellphones to take pictures, or have a disposable camera in their glove box for such emergencies.)
- Take pictures of your injuries.
- Get witness information. (This includes name, phone number, and their recollection of the accident.)
- Call the authorities.
- File a police report.
- Contact an experienced Houston car accident attorney.
Taking these steps can help you collect evidence from the scene in the event that you need to file a claim. If you have been involved in an accident that was not your fault, you may have the right to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering and mental distress
- Future medical expenses
- Future earning potential
- Other claims
The statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in Texas is two years in most cases. However, if you have been injured in an accident, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible.
If you have more questions about the steps you should take following a car accident, contact our Houston office today. Our staff is 100 percent bilingual, and will help you find the answers you and your family are looking for.