Houston Knee Injury Lawyers
Houston Knee Injuries Attorneys
Knees are among the most vulnerable parts of the human body, which makes them one of the most common areas of injury in accidents. Knee injuries can leave a person in severe pain, with mounting medical bills and unable to work or even walk.
If you have suffered a serious knee injury during an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, it is critical that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible. The skilled Houston knee injury lawyers at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian are here to help.
Call us today at (713) 842-9492 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We can answer all your questions and explain your legal options for pursuing the compensation you need to heal.
What Are Some Common Causes of Knee Injuries?
Knee injuries can result from a wide range of accidents, including but not limited to:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- On-the-job accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
No matter what type of accident caused your knee injury, if you believe someone else’s negligence put you in harm’s way, you should speak to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Symptoms of a Knee Injury
After a serious accident, you should always seek medical attention right away. Untreated injuries can worsen over time, with symptoms becoming more severe and possibly debilitating. Some of the common symptoms of knee injuries include:
- Pain in the knee ranging from mild to severe
- Difficulty while walking
- Clicking or popping sounds from the knee
- Locking of the knee or restricted motion of the knee joint
- Swelling and tenderness of the knee
- Pain while squatting
- Instability and inability to bear the weight of the body
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after an accident, you should see a doctor to discuss your treatment options. Remember to save all receipts and medical paperwork related to your treatment.
Common Knee Injuries
Just as there are many types of accidents that can lead to knee injuries, there are also many different types of injuries. Some of the common types of knee injuries include:
- Dislocations – A kneecap and knee joint are prone to dislocation. Such dislocations can be very serious, damaging surrounding tissues, including tearing of the tendons, ligaments, nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and more.
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries – The ACL, which connects the tibia to the femur, is located in the middle of the knee. It limits how far the knee extends and protects the knee against twisting. The ACL is the most commonly injured of all knee ligaments. It can be torn or strained by planting the foot and making a quick move or by a direct blow to the knee.
- Lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injuries – The LCL, which is located on the side of the knee, is a thick, strong band of tissue that connects to the bone. LCL tears typically happen when a force is applied to the inside of the knee, causing the knee to buckle inside and rotate toward the outside. This force puts pressure on the LCL ligament, causing it to tear completely in half.
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injuries – Like the ACL, the PCL connects the tibia to the femur. But it is behind the ACL at the center of the knee. Because the PCL is stronger than the ACL, it is less likely to be injured. A PCL tear is often suffered when a blow to the knee occurs when the knee is bent. For instance, a bent knee hitting a dashboard during a car accident.
- Meniscal tears – If a force or pressure rotates or twists the knee, it can cause a tear in the meniscus, the cartilage in the knee joint. Elderly people are more at risk for this injury because of the constant wear and tear on your knees as you get older.
What Costs Can I Recover as a Result of My Knee Injury?
Medical treatment for knee injuries is often expensive. This is especially true for permanent knee injuries, which can require ongoing treatment and may affect your ability to work.
If the accident that caused your knee injury was due to negligence on someone else’s part, the negligent party should bear the financial burden for your recovery. This means they could have to compensate you for:
- Medical bills related to the knee injury. This includes anticipated medical expenses in the future.
- Lost wages. If you had to miss work or use your sick and vacation time, you should be reimbursed for this. For many workers, knee injuries have long-term or permanent implications on their ability to work. In a case like this, you may be able to recover compensation for the wages you will lose over the course of your life.
- Pain and suffering. You may also be entitled to recover payment for mental pain, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.
The total amount of your personal injury compensation will ultimately depend upon many factors. It is important that you speak with a Houston knee injury attorney about the specifics of your case to gain an understanding of the full amount of damages you may be entitled to recover.
Contact an Experienced Houston Knee Injury Attorney
If you have suffered a knee injury in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, you should seek professional legal advice right away. Monetary compensation could help cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to your knee injury.
An experienced Houston knee injury lawyer will take care of all of the legal work and technicalities so you can focus on healing. At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, our skilled attorneys will keep you updated throughout the legal process, so you know what is going on at all times and feel confident in your case.