The insurance giant Esurance recently studied data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to determine which states were the most dangerous for drivers. After analyzing the data, researchers found the 10 states deemed riskiest for drivers had a significant number of country and rural roads. They also found that speeding, drunk driving, and distracted driving are still three of the most common causes of car crashes.
Although Texas didn’t rank in the top 10, the results showed that in the Lone Star State, there’s still plenty of room for improvement.
How Did Texas Compare?
Texas didn’t become any safer or more dangerous during the years studied by researchers. However, there were a few findings specific to the state included in the study:
- The first was that from 2013 to 2017, fatalities due to auto accidents increased 10 percent. The year 2017 saw the most with 3,718 total casualties.
- While speeding, drunk driving, and distracted driving increased around much of the country, Texas saw a decline in these common causes of car crashes.
- Speeding was the main cause of traffic deaths in Texas, with 27.7 percent of all accidents involving speed.
- About 23 percent of fatalities were due to drunk driving, while lives were lost to distracted driving in 9.9 percent of accidents.
Other Causes of Car Accidents
While speeding, distracted driving, and drunk driving still cause most of the accidents around the state, there are many other common causes of car accidents. These include:
- Reckless driving: Cutting other drivers off, changing lanes too quickly, and tailgating are just a few examples of reckless driving. This type of driving is extremely dangerous and results in many fatalities.
- Heavy rain: Texas experiences some pretty heavy rainfall at times. People can’t always avoid driving in heavy rain, but when weather significantly reduces visibility, they should.
- Failure to follow traffic signs and signals: Traffic signs and signals are there for a reason. They direct traffic and tell people where to go. When a driver ignores a stop sign, traffic lights, or any other sign, the result can be a catastrophic crash.
- Road rage: It’s not uncommon for people to become frustrated and angry on the road. When they do, they may tailgate, brake suddenly, try to prevent people from passing, and engage in other dangerous behavior.
- Drowsy driving: Surprisingly, driving while drowsy is so dangerous that experts equate it to drunk driving. No one should ever get behind the wheel when they feel they are too tired to drive.
Unfortunately, these are just a few of the most common causes of fatal traffic accidents in Texas every year. When someone is hurt in a car accident that is caused by any type of negligence, they may be able to file a claim for compensation.
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer Now
Clearly, there are still many serious car accidents occurring around Texas every year. If you or someone you love has been hurt, you can take action.
At The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian, our Houston car accident attorneys can help. We will review your case free of charge and help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve. Contact us online to learn more about how we can help.