There’s no question that Houston’s roads are dangerous. In fact, the Houston Chronicle has described them as “out of control.” So, which Houston roads are the most dangerous, and what driving behaviors are motorists engaging in that make the city’s streets so hazardous?
The answers to both of these questions are below.
Which Houston Roads are the Most Dangerous?
Although drivers should always be cautious on any road, there are some streets in Houston that are considered much more dangerous than others. According to Texas Department of Transportation data that was analyzed by the Houston Chronicle, the 20 most dangerous roads, based on the number of non-fatal accidents that occur on them, are:
- 1. Westheimer Road
- 2. Bellaire Boulevard
- 3. Beechnut Street
- 4. West Little York Road
- 5. Bisonette Street
- 6. Main Street
- 7. Fry Road
- 8. Veterans Memorial Drive
- 9. Kuykendahl Road
- 10. Louttea Road
- 11. Clay Road
- 12. Fondren Road
- 13. Garth Road
- 14. Antoine Drive
- 15. North Shepherd Drive
- 16. Hillcroft Avenue
- 17. West Tidwell Road
- 18. Airline Drive
- 19. South Post Oak Road
- 20. Cullen Boulevard
To provide a sense of just how dangerous these roads are, there were 324 non-fatal accidents on Cullen Boulevard in 2018, the safest of all the dangerous roads listed. On the other hand, during the same year, the most dangerous road in Houston, Westheimer Road, had 1,228 non-fatal accidents.
And this list does not take into account accident statistics for Houston interstates, highways, freeways, and toll roads.
Local Dangers at Houston Intersections
It’s no wonder that Houston has been deemed to have some of the most dangerous roads in the country. Unfortunately, too many motorists engage in dangerous behaviors such as:
● Drunk driving: Still one of the most dangerous driving behaviors motorists could engage in, drunk driving kills more than one American every hour.
● Texting and driving: There’s a reason texting and driving has been called the new drunk driving. It’s incredibly dangerous when drivers take their eyes off the road, even just for a few seconds. Unfortunately, too many drivers in Houston continue to do it.
● Distracted driving: Texting and driving is just one form of distraction. Applying makeup, interacting with passengers, and eating are just a few other types of distractions that cause crashes every year.
● Speeding: Speeding both causes accidents and increases the severity of those accidents. When speeding occurs at intersections because people want to make a green light or beat traffic, it can end in a serious crash.
● Following too closely: It’s always dangerous to tailgate. When it’s done at an intersection, tailgating can result in an accident that pushes the car in front into the intersection while motorists are traveling the other way, which is extremely dangerous.
Unfortunately, these are just a few of the dangerous driving behaviors motorists engage in at intersections in Houston. When drivers behave dangerously, everyone on the road around them is at risk.
Need Legal Advice? Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve been hurt in an accident due to another driver’s dangerous behavior, contact our Houston personal injury lawyers at The Law Offices of Hilda Sibrian today. We will fight to hold negligent drivers and insurance companies accountable, demanding full and fair compensation for your losses.
Call us today to schedule your free consultation so we can get started on your case.